Thursday 30 April 2009

Chamonix Powder

Me making fresh tracks at La Flegere. Photo O Mentz.

I arrived in Chamonix with a group of old uni friends last Saturday evening. Craning our necks skywards to take in the magnificent view of the Chamonix Aiguilles reminded us just how big the mountains are out here. Those of Scotland seem like foothills in comparison. Sadly the view did not last long and there's been dark clouds, high winds and big dumps of snow across the whole Alps this week. The plan was to do some ski touring, possibly the Haute Route between Chamonix and Zermatt or otherwise a series of day tours around the Mont Blanc massif.
Weather conditions have been very poor though and the masses of new snow on the hard icy base has led to a high avalanche risk throughout the area. Consequently we have just been going powder skiing but that's no great hardship! As its the end of the season and visibility has been so poor the mountains have been deserted and we've got plenty of 'freshies' :)

Ant, Jaime, Lawrence and Myself at L'Index. Photo O Mentz.

Lawrence in the trees at Grand Montets

Myself enjoying some atmospheric tree skiing at Grand Montets

Today though the sun finally came out and the skiing was 'all time' lol! Sadly I've no photos of this because I stupidly went for a drop on the first run of the day, got some good air and splashed down into soft powder but as I skied away triumphantly I realised I'd pulled something in my back and was now suffering some muscle spasms which spelled the end of my day. Fingers crossed for a miraculous recovery otherwise I might be flying home on a stretcher!

No comments:

Post a Comment